Liquids with solid characteristics or better solids with liquid behavior or……think out of the normal!!
Ionic liquids (IL) are a new class of chemical products. They are organic salts which melt at an ambient temperature with melting points down to minus 90 degree Celsius. Ionic Liquids are not solutions of ionic compounds in a molecular solvent (these would be ionic solutions) but are liquids based on ions only, like sodium chloride (Na+ Cl-).
The chemical and physical properties of ionic liquids can be tuned to achieve technical properties. This can be realized through targeted functionalization of anions and cations and through the systematic combination of various functionalized anions and cations with our patented and halide free CBILS® synthesis route.
Contrary to conventional molecular liquids they are fully ionic and, therefore, exhibit completely new unusual properties like:
Characteristics of Ionic Liquids:
- No measureable vapour pressure (some few exceptions)
- Non-combustible at temperatures below high to very high thermal point of decomposition
- Non-polluting (Ionic liquids cannot vaporize into the atmosphere!)
- Very large liquidus range (range between melting point and thermal decomposition) from often far over 400 degree Celsius
- Large thermal stability: Points of decomposition of over 300 degree Celsius and more are not rare
- Density and the mixing behaviour with other liquids are adjustable
- Electrical conductivity prevents electrostatic charge
- Solvents for organic, inorganic and organometallic substances
- High stability against oxidation and reduction realizable
We will be pleased to explain to you the impact of these characteristics for your technical, chemical, pharmaceutical or biotech process!